Share This

Monday, 24 March 2014

Tangzhong Breadmaker Loaf with the Joyoung Bread Maker

Ok yes, everyone is raving about the Tangzhong (water roux) method of baking a soft and fluffy loaf without the use of any bread softener or bread improver. I've personally tried Christine's and Alex Goh's recipes, they didn't work for me because when I followed their recipe blindly and baked it in my bread maker, the dough proofed through the window resulting in an ugly top because of the large quantity of ingredients used, and I didn't know how to modify the recipes then.

Tangzhong Breadmaker loaf


Thereafter, I started browsing and studying various Tangzhong recipes online to come out with a perfect one that suites my bread maker, and the general rule of Tangzhong is to mix 1 part of bread flour with 5 parts of water (by weight) at 65°C (149 °F) to form a paste/wet dough, and then incorporate 5% of the total flour weight as the required amount of Tangzhong to be used. Thanks to a blogger named Rose, she has a very detailed yet easily comprehended Universal Tangzhong recipe converting formula that can be applied to any other bread recipes.

Tangzhong Breadmaker Loaf


So, here's my version of Tangzhong White Loaf made with the Joyoung bread maker. The bread turned out very light, soft and fluffy on the inside, yet crunchy on the outside.

Very soft and fluffly IRL


For the Tangzhong paste:

** Makes 1 batch enough for a loaf of bread without any leftover!

 Ingredients:

50 ml  Water
10 gm  Bread Flour


1) Whisk the water and flour until it is well blended and free of lumps.

Flour and water mixture


2) Stir the mixture constantly over medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until the mixture thickens up and leaves behind traces of 'line'.

 3) Remove immediately from the heat, transfer to a bowl and cover with a cling wrap touching the surface. Let it cool down completely while you prepare the rest of the ingredients for the bread.

T: Ready when 'lines' appear B: Cover with cling wrap touching the surface






For the Tangzhong Breadmaker Loaf:

Ingredients:

250 gm High protein flour / Bread flour
3 tbsp Sugar
3 tbsp Milk Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Instant Yeast
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
100 ml Water
20 gm Butter
1 batch of Tangzhong


1) Place the Tangzhong, water, egg into the bread tin.

2) Add in the flour, and then place the sugar, salt butter and milk powder in each corners of the bread tin.

3) Lastly dig a shallow pit in the middle of the flour and add in the instant yeast.

4) Select white loaf function (C-1 for Joyoung - 750g, dark crust).

L: Proofed well and baking, R: Baked!


Remember to let the loaf cool down completely on a wire rack (approx. 30 mins) before slicing!

Tangzhong Breadmaker Loaf


Also do take note, this Tangzhong bread is very 'sensitive' to air, so do not let it out in the open for long as it will harden up in no time.

So soft!


Wholemeal Variation:

Tangzhong Wholemeal Loaf


Just replace the bread flour with 40 gm of wholemeal flour :

210 gm bread flour
40 gm wholemeal flour

the rest of the ingredients remain the same.



I also used the same wholemeal recipe but rolled them out into buns and baked in the oven. The results were phenomenal!
 

Tangzhong Wholemeal Buns



Wholemeal Buns Instructions:

- Use the proofing/fermentation function of your bread machine to knead and proof the dough

- Remove the dough and gently knead the dough for 1 minute

- Let it rest for 10 minutes (covered with tea towel/muslin cloth) 

- Roll into desired bun shapes and space them out on the baking tray

- Cover with tea towel

- Let it proof again for 45 minutes until double in size

- Brush buns with egg/milk wash

- Bake in a pre-heated oven of 200 Degree Celcius for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.



These Tangzhong breads stayed soft for 3 days in room temperature, I didn't even need to reheat in the microwave to soften them up as compared to the conventional breadmaker recipes.

So try it and let me know what you think! :)



28 comments:

  1. Hi .... normally how u keep the balance of yeast? Put into the fridge? Thanks a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mingyan, just keep it in an air-tight container and store it in the freezer.. it can really last a very very long time as compared to being stored in the fridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am using the same bread machine. Do you know if function 12 allows us to bake the dough as a standalone function?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suk Hui Tey, function 12 only heats for 10 minutes, so I don't think we can bake a loaf with this function. Though I have not tried, you may wanna try using the 'Cake function' (1 hr 10 minutes) to bake the dough if you don't have a conventional oven. However, just keep an eye on it from time to time especially when its 45-60 mins into the baking.. remove the bread once it's browned evenly on top.. do share if it works ya!

      Delete
  4. Great post, I just made this in my Philips breadmaker and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, was wondering how long you are able to keep it for (in a covered container of course) ? 1 day, 2 days? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for dropping by.. glad that this recipe worked for your Philips BM! I usually keep my bread in an airtight container at room temperature for 2--3 days max.. thereafter it will definitely start to mold :)

      Delete
  6. My bread turned out way too small for my bread pan and was very dense. I had to replace butter with corn oil as my daughter can't take dairy. I am using a tesco breadmaker. Any idea why it was dense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using Tesco bread maker for many year. I started with Sanyo bm, have since changed to Tesco bm. I'm using my 2nd Tesco bm now. I cook 60g of bread flour with 300ml of water to get the tangzhong (300g). My dough is made up of 100g tz, 200g bf, 100g wholemeal bf, water+egg 160ml, yeast 1tsp, salt 0.5tsp, butter 25g. Select menu 1, 1.5lb, light. Total time 2:53 but stop the baking machine 15minutes earlier. You will get beautiful soft bread.

      Delete
    2. Oops! I missed out 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

      Delete
    3. Oops! I missed out 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

      Delete
    4. I've been using Tesco bread maker for many year. I started with Sanyo bm, have since changed to Tesco bm. I'm using my 2nd Tesco bm now. I cook 60g of bread flour with 300ml of water to get the tangzhong (300g). My dough is made up of 100g tz, 200g bf, 100g wholemeal bf, water+egg 160ml, yeast 1tsp, salt 0.5tsp, butter 25g. Select menu 1, 1.5lb, light. Total time 2:53 but stop the baking machine 15minutes earlier. You will get beautiful soft bread.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing! Btw, is the loaf bread about 750g?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The total dough weight is about 550g made up of tz 100g, flour 300g, water 150g (±10). I selected bread loaf size of 1.5lb setting.

      Delete
  8. May i ask which function on philip bm did u use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wonder Mummy! I stumbled upon ur blog yesterday night and tried out this recipe. I used milk instead of water and it turned out so soft and delicious! Just want to thank you for your recipe and I've also put up the adjusted recipe on my blog. (I don't know why the top of the bread was wrinkly though) Feel free to check it out. Thank you again!

    http://misscocoeats2.blogspot.sg/2015/06/tangzhong-wholemeal-milk-bread-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there. I tried your recipe twice on the Meyer breadmaker..oh man.. Couldn't work. The bread is dense and taste like huat kuey, do I need to proof the instant yeast first? I replaced the butter with olive oil also and dropped the skimmed milk.. Hmm I had no idea why it. Failed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, dropping milk powder is ok but replacing butter with oil is tricky because the liquid content in both aren't the same.

      Delete
    2. Simon, dropping milk powder is ok but replacing butter with oil is tricky because the liquid content in both aren't the same.

      Delete
  11. Would definitely try making. For offers on Breadmakers, check for coupons at CouponBelanja

    ReplyDelete
  12. This BM recipe is amaZing! Thanks for posting it. I used it with my old Hitachi unit using the delay feature and it sure feels wonderful waking up to fresh baked bread.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. Tangzhong really works!!! Have been baking bread, though successful in time but bread will turn harden when it turn cold. Friend share Tangzhong this afternoon and I was so eager. Tried it out immediately (made into buns). Can't believe that the textual is really so good! Never before. Thanks Lynn and wonder mummy for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. Tangzhong really works!!! Have been baking bread, though successful in time but bread will turn harden when it turn cold. Friend share Tangzhong this afternoon and I was so eager. Tried it out immediately (made into buns). Can't believe that the textual is really so good! Never before. Thanks Lynn and wonder mummy for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If use timer delay bake can i still use tangzhong? Will it be ok overnight in machine?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Incorporated in the year 2010, Amba Steel is one of the foremost organizations in the market, vastly known as manufacturers,

    distributors, wholesalers, traders, retailers and suppliers of Food Equipment. Our offered items

    incorporates of Rotary Oven, Planetary Mixture Machine and Spiral Mixer. These items are generally refreshing and praised in the business sector for their ideal completion,

    predominant quality, low upkeep and dependable execution. Alongside this, these are given in different shapes, sizes and different determinations as per global quality

    models and rules.

    VIEW MORE -

    commercial oven in delhi
    rotary oven manufacturer delhi
    biscuit oven manufacturer in delhi
    Cookies dropping machine in delhi
    commercial bakery equipment in delhi
    bakery machine manufacturers in delhi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for the recipe! I made it in my mini zojirushi bread machine and it has been successful since the first time I tried your recipe!
    I am thinking of dropping the milk powder. Do I need to increase the bread flour by 3 tbsp to compensate that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, i also have zojirushi bread machine. I follow all the instruction but my bread come out very hard on the next day. Any advise?

      Delete